Friday, October 20, 2006

YouTube Purges Japanese Videos

One of the interesting things about the YouTube phenomenon is all the video content from Japan and Korea on the site. The other night we fighting over who would select the next YouTube video. My wife chose installments of a Korean mini-series, My Lovely Sam Soon, a variation on the Bridget Jones theme. She pulled up a version with English subtitles for my benefit. My son watched Ultraman clips. Then we watched a couple of music videos from the '80s. The picture quality wasn't that great and the viewing area was small, but, as my wife said, "I guess we don't need TV anymore. We can watch everything we want to on YouTube." Don't cancel your SkyPerfectTV account yet. The Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers (JASRAC), pulled 29,549 videos off of YouTube because of copyright infringements. Read about it here.